Popular Posts

Restraining Order Granted: Players Storm Transfer Portal

College Football Players Get a Second Chance: The Transfer Portal Reopens for a Special Group

What Just Happened?

Imagine you’re a college football player who used up all your eligibility. You thought your college days were over, so you tried to go pro. But then a judge says, "Wait! You can come back for one more year!" That’s exactly what happened this week.

A court in Louisiana granted a temporary restraining order (TRO) — a short-term legal pause — that lets certain players return to college football for a fifth year of eligibility. The NCAA transfer portal officially reopened just for these players on Wednesday.

IMPORTANT POINT
This is not the regular transfer portal window. That already happened in January. This is a special, one-week window created by a court order for a specific group of players.


Who Are These Players?

Eight former college football players — all plaintiffs (people who filed the lawsuit) — have already entered their names in the portal as of Thursday afternoon:

Player Position Former School
TJ Harden Running Back SMU
Dae’Quan Wright Tight End Ole Miss
Weylin Lapuaho Offensive Lineman BYU
Zxavian Harris Defensive Lineman Ole Miss
Trent Hendrick Linebacker James Madison
Ethan Johnson Cornerback App State
Blake Cotton Cornerback Utah
Luke Drzewiecki Kicker New Mexico

IMPORTANT POINT
There are 16 college football players among the 30+ total plaintiffs in this case. More may enter the portal soon.


What’s the Backstory?

1. The Regular Rules

  • The NCAA transfer portal usually opens once a year (this year: Jan 2 – Jan 16).
  • After that window closes, teams cannot add transfers without penalties.

2. The New "Ghost Transfer" Rule (April 2026)

The NCAA made strict new rules to stop teams from adding players after January:

  • Head coach suspension: 50% of the season
  • Fine: 20% of the program’s entire football budget

3. The Lawsuit

Players sued, saying these rules were unfair. A Louisiana judge agreed temporarily and issued the TRO, which:

  • Blocks the "ghost transfer rule"
  • Blocks the NCAA’s "rule of restitution" (a rule about paying back benefits)
  • Allows plaintiffs to enter the portal for one week outside the normal window
  • Lets players who signed pro contracts or hired agents returnif they:
    • Terminate those contracts
    • Repay any money they received

Some Players Are Already in the NFL

A few of these players have already dipped their toes in pro football:

Player NFL Team Status
Dae’Quan Wright Cleveland Browns Currently on roster
TJ Harden Seattle Seahawks Played in preseason opener vs. Cowboys, then cut Monday
Zxavian Harris New Orleans Saints Waived Aug 8

They now have a choice: stick with the NFL or go back to college for one more year.


What Happens Next?

Key Date: August 31

A court hearing is scheduled in Louisiana’s 19th Judicial District Court. The judge will decide whether to extend the order or let the NCAA rules stand.

The One-Week Window

Players have until next Wednesday to enter the portal under this special order.

Big Decisions Ahead

Other plaintiffs are weighing their options:

  • Jack Pyburn (former LSU DE) — Had 2 sacks in preseason debut with Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Wydett Williams Jr. (former Ole Miss DB) — Played in two preseason games with Arizona Cardinals

They must decide: chase an NFL dream or return to campus for a fifth year?


Why This Matters (ELI5 Summary)

Think of it like this:

  • You graduate high school and go to college for 4 years.
  • You try out for the pros, but it doesn’t work out.
  • Normally, you’re done. No more college sports.
  • But a judge said: "Actually, the rules changed unfairly. You can come back for one more year — but only for one week, and only if you’re part of this lawsuit."

It’s a rare second chance — but with a tight deadline and big strings attached.


Summary

  • 8 players have entered the transfer portal so far under a court order.
  • 16 football players are part of a 30+ plaintiff lawsuit in Louisiana.
  • The TRO blocks the NCAA’s "ghost transfer rule" and restitution rule.
  • Players who signed pro deals can return if they quit and repay money.
  • Court date: August 31 — the future of this window depends on the judge.
  • Several players must choose between NFL and college in the coming days.

FAQ

What is the "transfer portal"?

It’s an online database where college athletes can enter their names to let other schools know they want to transfer. Think of it like a "looking for a new team" bulletin board.

What is a "fifth year of eligibility"?

NCAA athletes usually get 4 years to play in 5 years of school. A "fifth year" means they get an extra season — often due to injury, redshirt, or now, a court order.

What is a "ghost transfer"?

A transfer that happens after the official portal window closes. The NCAA tried to ban these with harsh penalties — but the judge paused that rule for now.

Can any player enter the portal right now?

No. Only the plaintiffs in this specific lawsuit can use this special one-week window. The regular portal is closed until December.

What happens if a player signed with an NFL team?

They can still return to college — but only if they:

  1. Terminate their NFL contract
  2. Fire their agent (if they have one)
  3. Repay any money they received (signing bonus, etc.)

This is a developing story. The August 31 court hearing could change everything. Stay tuned!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *